Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Can't Afford It / Don't Have the Time Objections

One of the best responses to the "I can't afford it" statement is "Frankly, based on what you've shared with me, I don't think oyu can afford NOT to do it."

You can't just throw that out there, though.

Remember that recruiting interviews are just that - INTERVIEWS. You should be asking questions and screening candidates based on how your opportunity can help them, but also based on how they will fit into your team.

A person that continues to make excuses will be the same person who's always looking for hand holding for the duration of their stay on your team - which may be shot lived anyway.

Remind them, that this isn't about spending money, it's about making money. The purchase of a business kit is almost always a tax deduction (check w/ your accountant. I don't provide tax advice!).

As far as "having time", I ask them right at the interview, "How much time can you see yourself devoting to working your new business?" And that's key. I remind them this is a new business.

If a potential recruit is truly only in it for the kit - you have to ask yourself if you're okay with that.

Ruth's wording for the person who doesn't want to do 6 shows is great, but I can be a little more abrupt with people sometimes. I've also used this:

"Oh! You've already talked with another consultant? Well, I don't want to step on someone else's toes! If you're happy with what they're offering as a leader, then by all means, let's end the conversation here so you can get back in touch with them."

And then remain silent.

If they want you, they'll come after you. If they just want to get a kit - let someone else have that headache.

Remember: If you're serious about growing a team, sometimes it's better to let them go.

Don't let them go TOO quickly, but after you've pulled out the arsenal of tips we're sharing, if they're still not ready, maybe now's NOT a good time for them.

The last recommendation I can make is this one:

When you're interviewing, ask THEM what they expect out of their business. If all they want is a free kit - then 1 show is all they need. If they want a consistent income of a few hundred dollars - then a show a week is what they need. If they want to replace a full-time income, then they need to be doing a minimum of 2-3 shows a week and working on building a team as well.

If someone presents the "well another consultant told me..." scenario, then you can follow up with the following:

"Well, perhaps they didn't ask you the same questions that I did. It's my job, as your recruiter, to help you be as successful as you want to be. Based on what you've told me you expect out of your business, you would need at least X number of shows on you calendar, based on our averages, to achieve that. I'm sure if you told that consultant what you told me tonight she's tell you the same thing."

This way, you're not calling anyone on the carpet, and you're not making any assumptions. Always keep your conversation in the here and now, because that conversation could have taken place 2 years ago.

Again, setting up recruiting interviews are a time for YOU to kep control of the conversatio, ask questions (just like a real job), and get to know your prospect. don't go signing up someone just because you need one more for a trip! Make sure they are a good fit for your team, because THEY will be working with YOU - possibly for a very long time!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Thanks - That helps! I'm starting to understand that this is really a filtering process :)

the coolest girl on the planet - HA! said...

You got it! I like to think about it as if I'm the CEO of my own company (because, in essense you are!), and I'm looking for qualified people to join my team and work for me.

They become their own CEO also, but they are in a small way working for YOu because they are on your team, contributing to YOUR bonus. I ALWAYS ask myself: is this a person I WANT to share time with on a regular basis?

Because I'm goign to be responsible for training them, helping them set goals, and teaching them the core of building their business - that's a lot of my time and responsibility!

So do I ant to have that person on my team or will they be changing the dynamic of my group so much that it makes working difficult?

Remember this is supposed to be FUN! I am happy to report that all the women on my team (and the one guy I have) work well together, are VERY supportive of one another, and the team environment is HEALTHY.

Don't recruit leeches or try to recruit tire kickers.

It's the equivalent of trying to teach a pig to sing: it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Always be on the lookout for qualified recruits. they don't have to be BUSINESS BUILDERS, but they have to know what they want out of their business and be willing to do their share of making that happen.

When you build a team like that, you don't have to worry about "motivating" them to perform. They're already ready already!